Saturday, March 14, 2009

Still in DC

Today was another day in DC. The weather is awful; cold and rainy, but that did not stop me from trying to experience some of the museums the town has to offer.

I had my first experience with the DC subway system, in fact it was my first experience ever with any subway system. Nothing worth mentioning other than it was my first time and I wish I had the option of the subway where I live.


The day started at the Newsuem which is completely dedicated to journalism. I loved this museum. There was a lot of very interesting exhibits. Especially one on the FBI. There was also a chronicle of papers ranging as far back as the 1700s. There was also a chunk of the Berlin Wall and a guard tower. I found it fascinating just to touch the wall and try to imagine what it must have been like to be trapped on the East side while the West was thriving with culture.









I wanted to go the the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History but because this week is Spring Break for the younger society the line was ridiculous. Instead I substituted the visit for a Pompeii exhibit at the National Gallery. This was awesome, there was a lot of interesting sculptures and ancient paintings. I can't even imagine being one of the people that uncovered this world hidden by a volcano eruption. The excitement a person must feel when they start uncovering an entire civilization has to be exhilarating. I went to another Smithsonian to see the flag that was flying when Frances Scott Keyes wrote the star spangled banner. There were many more exhibits I wanted to see but the crowds made being inside the museum unbearable. The noise was intense and the lines for the exhibits did not allow for the proper amount of time to obsess over what I was seeing. The last stop before making it back to the Metro was the National Portrait Gallery. It was another very interesting museum but I feel like by this point my fatigue was sinking in and I hurried the visit. Most memorable was some of the paintings by Georgia O' Keefe. It was the first time I had ever seen any of her work and I was really impressed. Most of the portraits were of boring old white men who had a lot of money; although, some very interesting photographs of modern people were sprinkled in.


Yesterday I went to the Washington National Cathedral. It left me breathless. The giant medieval looking structure left me breathless. Its Gothic spikes raised high into the sky chasing the very God it was created to worship. It's unreal the things and places people will create in the name of religion. I also visited all the memorials again. I walked the entire circle from the Jefferson to the Lincoln and back. The Vietnam Memorial was gut-wrenching. Very sad the number of deaths involved in that war. The FDR Memorial would have been far more fascinating had the weather allowed for the water to flow. Unfortunately the Reflecting Pool was drained but it was fun to run in it and act as if I was Jenny screaming for Forrest's attention.



Also, incredibly, I saw a woman get hit by a car yesterday. I only say incredibly because she wasn't hurt. The jackass ran a red light, and was cutting me off in the process, and he struck this woman and then rolled his window down to yell at her as if she was at fault. It was unbelievable.


So...Washington DC is well worth a visit. In fact, I will most likely plan another visit just to go back to the museums. The city has so much to offer, and unlike many other cities in the Northeast people seem to be friendly. A friend of mine insists its because it's a melting pot of people from all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment