Sunday, March 15, 2009

One Last Time

I assumed yesterdays post would be my last from DC but I couldn't help but make the trip to the metro and towards the Smithsonians for one last try and...success!! I got to the museum early and I was able to spend a good four hours in the Natural History Museum. I was like a giddy ten year old boy oohing and aahing at the Dinosaur fossils and giant replica of an elephant. I was in full tourist mode snapping photographs at every opportunity. It was fascinating. One of the coolest places I have ever been. The ocean exhibit was beyond amazing as was the fossil and western civilization exhibits. I didn't have much use for the soil exhibit. Pretty boring. Also I only dropped in the mineral section to say I saw the Hope Diamond, which I am sure for some women is like the second coming of Christ. It was all very exciting. After wandering aimlessly for hours I finally decided to go to the American History Museum again to see if I could get a look at Kermit the Frog and the Rudy Slippers from the Wizard of Oz but unfortunately by that time the crowds were back.



While in the museum there was a huge St. Patrick's Day Parade going on outside for a moment I felt like I should go outside and take place but because I was just in New Orleans for Mardi Gras I decided I could do without another parade. After I left the museum though the parade was still going on and so I was able to sit and watch the end of it. It was nice. The weather was still horrible, even colder and wetter than the day before. It was impossible not to smile at the young little river dancers Celtic hopping down the wet street and for some reason there were these Bolivian dancers that were absolutely amazing, and I have no idea how they weren't freezing in there barely there skirts. They looked more like something that would be at the Fiesta Celebration in San Antonio that is taking place in a couple of weeks, which I will also be at. I'm a pretty lucky guy right now. I am able to see and experience a lot of the amazing culture this country has to offer. Unfortunately I am missing SXSW and the Kerrville Folk Music Festival but between Hawaii, DC, Mardi Gras and Fiesta in the last month and the month coming up; I think I can handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment